Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Fight

I love this season of the year. I may not be extremely thankful for the cold weather, or the fact that I have to pack the shorts away... but there's something about snuggling in with family and friends, the joy that Christmas music brings, delicious coffee creamers that taste comfortable, and most of all the reminder of thankfulness. I didn't realize how bad my heart needed that last one.

When we lay the soil of our hard lives open to the rain of grace and let joy penetrate our cracked and dry places, we let joy soak into our broken skin and deep crevices, life grows.


This is the quote on my blog... ever since I graduated, I have avoided this blog like the plaque... I used busy-ness as an excuse, but it's true that we make time for what's important. I didn't make time to be thankful... to count my blessings. I stopped fighting for a grateful heart because it was easier to complain about the fact that post-grad life is, well, less than wonderful. It's easier to complain with the ladies at work. It's easier to look at the grass that is greener on the other side. But honestly, that's not what I want. I want a heart that loves where the Lord has me because I love Him and trust Him. I want a heart that counts blessings even in the worst of times (this time in my life really isn't that bad).

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. [Psalm 139:23-24]

175. This morning.
Sitting in bed with an electric blanket, time with Jesus, peppermint mocha coffee, and Kenny G Christmas, getting served a piece of humble pie. Beautiful.

176. Forgiveness.
It's funny... I was talking to one of my preschoolers yesterday about asking for forgiveness for our actions... I'm eating my own words today. The Lord is so gracious to love us through everything. I have a lot to learn.

177. Joy and Peace.
I get this feeling every year when Christmas stuff starts coming out and I am reminded of the real reason for this season. I'm brought to tears and so grateful that the majority of people, believers or not, come together to give to others. I am reminded of the hope that God gives us. Everlasting Hope.

178. Christmas music.
Yes, I've already gotten it out. No I don't think it's too soon. I'm thankful for the joy of our Savior's birth, so I will celebrate during the month of November as well. Be a hater if you like. I'll be a lover and enjoy my music. :)  

179. Sleep.
A good night's rest changes your perspective real quick.

180. It is Him, not me.
I am so thankful that He alone makes me worthy... it kind of takes the pressure off to be completely perfect, because no matter how hard I try, I fail. Instead He says, I've conquered it all already, trust and walk with me... I have a plan for you... a purpose... a hope... and I will rock your world. Thank you Papa.

That's what its all about Charlie Brown.

3 comments:

  1. I pulled out the Christmas music, too. Yesterday, my teacher was writing lesson plans for the Christmas Story (three weeks of teaching about Christmas! it's awesome) so I played Christmas tunes to get us in the spirit.
    And today I'm just a little bummed about some things, so Christmas music it is. HOPE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl.. i have been playing christmas music since the first snow here in Colorado... which was WEEKS ago ;) I love you ma'am

    1. i am thankful i get to see you next weekend [what?!!?!]

    2. the sound of coffee brewing

    3. God provides for me... even if life wants me believe He left... He didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Steph!!!!
    I love it when you're a frog. ;)
    Well. And I love you when you're a turtle...
    All to say, I love you a whole lot!!!!
    You make my heart smile

    ReplyDelete